Bhrigu Snowshoeing Trek
Trip Type: Snowshoeing
Region: Manali - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 05 days
Max Altitude: 4235m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only
Bhrigu Snow Shoeing Trek Overview
Bhrigu Lake, near the Rohtang Pass is a famous beginner trek during the summer due to its easy approach and gradual incline. During the winter, the expansive meadows that lead to it become a deserted winter wonderland and make for a challenging objective.
The meadows also make for a great vantage spot to view the peaks surrounding Manali - get expansive views of Hanuman Tibba, Makarbeh, Shikarbeh, Kalihani Pass and Manali Pass to the west and Hampta Pass, Deo Tibba and Indrasan to the east. The lake and its surrounding meadows are completely snowed out through the winter and can be skied down too.
This is a custom departure tour. Please write to us for prices and more info on this tour.
Bhrigu Snowshoeing Trek Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning and take in the town. Walk to the Jogini Falls, pick up a random shepherd trail and get your body in mountain mode.
Day 02: Manali – Kulang - Moji Dugh(3250m)
Duration: 5 hours
We start the day with a 20 minute drive to the village of Kulang, from where our trek starts. Kulang gets a fair bit of snow and we start snowshoeing right from the trail during winter. As we leave the valley floor behind, we get panoramic views of Manali and the forests around it. We head up to Moji Dugh, on a gradual trail, through forests of Pine, Deodar and Oak. Our first campsite is in a clearing in this beautiful forest.
Day 03: Moji Dugh – Theli (3500m)
Duration: 6 hours
The trail ascends gradually and will take you above the tree line. See fabulous views of the entire Manali valley and peaks like Hanuman Tibba, Makarbeh and Shikharbeh among others. We camp in the high altitude meadow of Theli in the middle of a vast snowfield.
Day 04: Theli – Bhrigu Lake (4235m) – Theli (3500m)
Duration: 6 hours
The trail gradually ascends before a short, steep climb to the lake. Step on to the expansive Bhrigu ridge and get panoramic views of Makarbeh, Shakarbeh, Hanuman Peak, the Kalihani Pass and Manali pass to the west, the Rohtang ridge to the north, the Friendship, Shitidhar Massif to the north west and Hampta to the east. We get back to the camp in Theli for the night.
Day 05: Theli – Vashisht (2600m)
Duration: 4 hours
We get down to Vashisht directly from Theli taking a steep path down t the village. One can also ski this route depending on the snow and expertise. Our vehicles transfer us from Vashisht to Manali. Trip Ends!
1. Camping Tents, Kitchen, Dining tents and Insulated Sleeping Pads.
2. Nutritious, high calorie food will be served.
3. Guide, Cook and camp helpers.
4. Horses carry loads on the route.
5. Transport to the road head and back.
6. Snow Rackets and hiking sticks for the walk.
- All expenses of personal nature like drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Sleeping Bags. (We recommend to get bags which are comfort rated to - 15 to - 20 deg C)
- Accommodation and food in Manali.
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend to purchase suitable insurance cover.
- Good quality waterproof ski jacket/similar
- Ski trousers/similar
- Down Jacket.
- Fleece jacket.
- Beanie - warm
- Sun hat
- Warm gloves - (waterproof outer, fleece inner) are good.
- Mid-weight fleece top.
- Long sleeved shirt.
- Travel and camp trousers.
- 2 wicking t-shirts (synthetic or merino wool)
- Normal clothing for around town.
- Long sleeved thermal top.
- Thermal long johns.
- 2-3 pairs underwear
- 2-3 pairs of standard socks
- 1 -2 pairs warm sock
- Trekking shoes
- Shoes for around camp and the same you could use when in town.
- Main bag - soft shell duffle bag for all your gear.
- Day Pack (whatever you are normally used to) - You will use this to carry your camera, water bottle, Trail layers, trail food etc.
- Dark ski glasses/ googles (the sun is quite strong),
- A couple of spare passport photos photocopies of key documents. e.g., passport (data and visa pages),
- travel insurance policy
- Toiletries - Sunscreen SPF 40+, Moisturizer, Lip balm, Soap, Toilet paper
- Repair Kit (needle and thread).
- Headlamp/ Torch.
- Water Bottle- Ideally keep two bottles 1 litre each.
- Plastic Packing covers.