Deo Tibba Peak
Trip Type: Mountaineering
Region: Manali - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 16 days
Max Altitude: 6001m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Deo Tibba Peak Overview
Set back in the Manali valley, Deo Tibba is popular technical climb among climbers who have some mountaineering knowledge. The peak can be graded PD on the Alpine grading scale and makes for a great intermediate objective. The approach to the mountain is through the ancient village of Jagatsukh and onward through a dense forest to the open grasslands and waterfalls at Seri and Tenta and up through a gully to Duhangan Col. Once on the glacier after reaching Duhangan Col, another shorter gully takes us to the summit ridge and onto the summit that gives us expansive views of the peaks of Kullu and Lahaul.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Arrival in Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning and check into your hotel. Walk around town and orient yourself to your surroundings. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Acclimatisation day around Manali
Duration: 4-5 hours
We leave for a hike today with packed lunches and return to Manali by the evening. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 03: Shopping and packing, in preparation for the climb
Today we do a final gear check and prepare for the climb ahead. Last opportunity to but any last minute supplies.
Day 04: Manali - Chikka (3500m)
Duration: 3 hours
We start our drive from Manali to Khanol Via the Jagatsukh Village. From the road-head at Khanol, it's a gradual climb through the forest to reach the open pastures at Chikka. We trek along the Duhangan Nala today and camp on its banks. There is a temple and a few huts at Chikka. There is are also many huge boulders around Chikka and will be a fun area to explore later in the day.
Day 05: Chikka - Seri (3800m)
Duration: 5-6 hours
The day starts with a moderate ascent through a mixed forest that we quickly leave behind. We trek through the tree line to reach the alpine meadows at Seri. The flatlands at Seri are a summer pasture for the animals in the valley villages. We camp right next to the Tenta cliffs with multiple waterfalls crashing to the rocks below.
Day 06: Seri - Base Camp at Tenta (4000m)
Duration: 4-5 hours
A short hike and a few switch backs along the Tenta cliffs gets us to our Base Camp for the climb. Once we establish camp, we leave for an acclimatisation hike to the glacial Chota Chandratal Lake (4480m). We can clearly see our route up ahead from the lake. Return to the Base Camp for the night.
Day 07: Tenta - Advanced Base Camp (4500m) - Tenta
Duration: 6-7 hours
We climb higher and load ferry to our Advance Base Camp on the snow, at the base of the gully that leads to Duhangan Col. After spending some time at altitude, we return to our base camp for the night.
Day 08: Tenta - ABC (4500m)
Duration: 3-4 hours
We hike the same route as the day before and establish ABC. Take the afternoon to brushing up your snow and ice skills before the technical part of the climb starts.
Day 09 - 13: Climbing days
We make our way up the gully and beyond Duhangan Col. Beyod Duhangan Col, we make our way through the glacier to reach Camp 1. The route to Camp 2 is a gradual climb through the glacier. We set up camp at the base of the piton gully. On the summit day, we make our way through the gully and onto the summit ridge. The summit opens up expansive views of Indrasan, right next to us and the further peaks of Kullu and Lahaul. We make our way back to Camp 1 and onto the Base Camp the next day.
Day 14: Tenta - Chikka
Duration: 5 hours
We retrace our steps back to Chikka and camp by the nala again.
Day 15: Chikka - Manali
Duration: 2-3 hours
Make our way back to the roadhead where our vehicles pick us up. Drive to the hotel in Manali.
Day 16: Manali
Breakfast and Departure. Trip Ends!
- All transfers in a non-ac vehicle as per the itinerary (Manali Hotel - Manali Hotel)
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents/ hotel
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water ( meals in hotels not included)
- Camp staff and cooks until the Base Camp
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Portage up to 10kg/person until the Base Camp
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All technical climbing group gear
- Peak fee/sanctuary fee/royalty/permits where applicable
- Sleeping Bags
- Any food in Manali hotels
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend purchasing a suitable insurance cover - asc360 provides adventure insurance in the Indian Himalayas
- Transfers to Manali hotels
- Transport to and from Manali at the beginning and end of the trip
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry everyday
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal Underwear / Long Johns (Upper + Lowers)
- Insulated Water bottle/ 750 ml flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (Waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Head Gear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 Season Sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any