Elbrus Peak (5642m)
Trip Type: Mountaineering
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 9 days
Max Altitude: 5642m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Elbrus Peak (5642m) Overview
The Main Caucasian Ridge stretches for 1200 km from the West to the East, from the Black Sea to the Caspian. Its width reaches 180km, and it forms not only a geographical, but also ethnic and political barriers, separating Russia from the Caucasian region and its mosaic of nationalities. Greater Caucasus is traditionally divided into three regions: West Caucasus, Central and East Caucasus. The borders of these territories go along meridians that cross the Main Ridge over Mt.Elbrus (5642 m) in the West and Kazbek (5033 m) in the East. It is between these two giants that the most beautiful and interesting peaks stand, withmore than forty of them surpassing the level of 4000m above the sea. It is here where seven caucasian fivethousanders arise their heads to the sky.
Among the variety of regions composing the Central Caucasus, it is the Elbrus Region that is a genuine gem. Many lateral valleys go aside of the main one where the river Baksan flows. They lead to the famous peaks of the Caucasus, such as Donguz- Orun (4492m), Shkhelda (4300m), Tchatyn (4368m) with its vertical 500m North Face, the legendary Ushba (4710m) and of course, Mt.Elbrus (5642m), the highest summit of Europe which surpasses Mt.Blanc, by more than 800m. The two-headed ice giant crowns the panorama of the Central Caucasus. Volcano craters, filled now with ice and snow, form summit plateaus of 300-400m in diameter on both the tops. The Eastern Peak is a little lower than its western brother: 5621m and 5642m respectively - both are covered by a gigantic ice cap.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Elbrus Peak (5642m) Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival in Mineralnye Vody airport.
Arrival to Mineralnye Vody airport. A 4-hour bus transfer takes us to Terskol village in the Baksan valley (about 2000 m above the sea). Overnight in a hotel in Terskol.
Day 02: Acclimatization ascent on Observatory of Elbrus (3150 m).
We walk to the observatory which affords great views of the area around. Post the hike, an excursion to the local bazaar for souvenirs and handmade woollen things. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 03: Terskol - Refuge (3900m)
We check out of the hotel and our vehicles transfer us 4-kms up to Azau (2250m). From Azau we take the cable-way up to the Refuge (3900 m). Settle in at the bunkers at Refuge. After lunch, go for a 1.5-hour acclimatization walk up to another hotel – "Priut odinnadtsati", return down to the Refuge for the night.
Day 04: Acclimatisation day around Refuge (3900m)
Acclimatization ascent up to Pastukhov's Rocks (4650 m) or higher (4700-4800 m). Return down to the Refuge (3-4 hours up and 1-1.5 hour down) for the night.
Day 05 and 06: Reserved for summit attempts in case of bad weather.
Day 07: Summit Day
We ascend Elbrus West (5642 m) or Elbrus East (5621m) - depending on the group and the conditions. Leave for the ascent at 2-3 A.M. It takes 10-12 hours to reach the summit. The summit is a huge windy plateau that affords magnificent views of the Caucasus mountains all around us. Return for the night to the Refuge. One also has the option of skiing down from the summit.
Day 08: Return to Terskol
Duration: 5 hours
Return to the base of the mountain where our vehicles pick us up and drive to the hotel in Terskol.
Day 09: Transfer to Mineralnye Vody Airport. Trip Ends!
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in hotels at Terskol.
Lodging in the "Barrels" refuge or in huts according to the program.
Full board during stay in the Elbrus region according to the program.
- All transport according to the program.
- Cook at Refuge.
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Elbrus cable lifts
Necessary permits and registration
Administrative fees in Kabardino-Balkaria.
- All technical climbing group gear
- Sleeping Bags
- Any Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing.
International and internal flights to Min. Vody airport and back
- Visa Costs
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Use of snowcats/ snowmobiles
Extra charges due to early return to Terskol
Any other transport outside of the itinerary
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control.
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (60 lt)
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry to the summit
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal underwear / long johns (upper + lowers)
- Insulated water bottle/ flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Headgear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 season sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any