Menthosa Peak 6443m - Miyar Valley
Trip Type: India Mountaineering
Region: Kullu and Lahaul
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 17 days
Max Altitude: 6443m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Menthosa Peak Overview
Menthosa peak at 6443m is the second highest peak in the Lahaul valley. Situated on the periphery of the Miyar Nulla this is a good climb to progress your climbing and mountaineering skills.
The trip starts with a drive from Manali to Udaipur in Lahaul and onward to the subsidiary Miyar Valley. The Miyar valley is one of the most scenic valleys of Lahaul with its fertile valley base, towering rock walls and the meandering Miyar Nalla cutting through it all. We make our way to the largest village in the valley - Urgos, our roadhead.
The Miyar valley has often been compared to the Yosemite valley in America. The big granite walls of the Miyar would easily make El captain and half dome look like dwarfs.
The trek to the base camp is a day's trek through fertile pea and potato fields that give way to meadows filled with wildflowers and sharp granite wall rising through the periphery of it all. Depending on what season you choose to climb the peak the grade can vary between a PD and AD.
The upper reaches of the mountain are glaciated and require ice climbing and a crevassed glacier crossed on a seasonal snow bridge to get to the summit. If you choose to travel around here early to late spring then this can also be a good ski mountaineering objective.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Menthosa Peak Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival in Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning and check into your hotel. Walk around town and orient yourself to your surroundings. Final gear check and prepare for the climb ahead. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Manali - Urgos (3400m)
Duration: 10 hours
We leave Manali early in the morning over the Rohtang Pass and pass Udaipur town to enter the Miyar Valley and reach Urgos village.
Day 03: Urgos - Base Camp (3900m)
Duration: 5-7 hours
Start the trek today walking along the Urgos Nalla through a mixed forest giving way to high altitude meadows. We camp at a large meadow at the base of the mountain right next to the Urgos Nalla.
Day 04-06: Acclimatisation days.
Duration: Multiple hours
Spend the next couple days exploring the area around base camp and acclimatising to the altitude.
Day 07-15: Climbing days
We spend the next 9 days establishing Advance Base Camp, Camp 1, Camp 2 and making a summit push. The route to ABC is through glacial moraine and past a small lake. We make our way through a steep snow wall to reach Urgos Pass. The technical sections of the climb are a 70m ice wall and a bergshrund after the summit camp. The final summit push is over gradual terrain and the top gives us great panoramic views of Lahaul, Pangi and Zanskar. Return to Base Camp.
Day 16: Base Camp - Urgos.
Duration: 4 hours
We retrace our steps back to Urgos village.
Day 17: Drive back to Manali.
Duration: 8-10 hours
Drive back to Manali. Trip Ends!
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents.
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Dining Tents, Western Style Toilet Tents.
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water.
- Cook and camp staff.
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Pack animals (Horses/Mules) to carry loads on the route until Base Camp with personal portage up to 20 kg/person
- All HP state Forest Permits,
- IMF Peak fee/State government royalty/permits where applicable
- All technical climbing group gear
- All transport from Manali to road head and back.
- All Staff Insurance
- Sleeping Bags
- Stay and food at hotels in Manali.
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Any Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing.
Any other transport than whats mentioned in Cost includes.
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control.
- Any Guest Insurance.
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry every day
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal underwear / long johns (upper + lowers)
- Insulated water bottle/ flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Headgear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 season sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any