Mentok Kangri Expedition (6200m) - Rupshu Valley
Trip Type: India Mountaineering
Region: Rupshu Valley - Ladakh
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 10 days
Max Altitude: 6250m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Mentok Kangri Expedition Overview
Mentok Kangri expedition peaks lies in the Rupshu valley of Ladakh on the Changthang Plateau. The Changthang plateau is the 1600km long Tibetan plateau that extends into southeastern Ladakh The Mentok group consists of 3 peaks 6200m, 6150m and 6250m rising from the banks of the Tso Moriri Lake.
The walk to the base camp starts from Karzok village on the banks of the lake. All three peaks can be climbed from the same base camp and make for a great easily accessible triple objective.
While there are a few technical sections, it's one of the easier peaks on the Changthang if one is well acclimatised. The views while climbing the peaks are unparalleled as one rises over the Tso Moriri lake and it spreads out as far as the eye can see in one direction and the vast pastures of the Changthang on the other side. These peaks can be graded F - AD on the Alpine system.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Mentok Kangri Expedition Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival in Leh (3400m)
Get a flight to Leh town and transfer to the hotel. Relax and acclimatise. Visit Leh market in the evening. Overnight Hotel.
Day 02 and 03: Acclimatisation days around Leh.
Optional visit to the Leh palace and the Shey, Thikse and Hemis gompas. We also go on short hikes to get acclimated to the altitude. Last minute shopping in the Leh market. Overnight hotel.
Day 04: Drive to Korzok (4600m)
Duration: 6-7 hours
We start on a scenic drive along the Indus River until Mahi and onward to the banks of the Tso Moriri. Tso Moriri is the largest high altitude lake entirely within India and we camp at its banks. Rest for the remainder of the day as you need to adjust to the altitude change. Overnight Camp.
Day 05: An additional acclimatisation day around Korzok and Tso Moriri Lake.
We take a day to rest before the climb to Mentok Kangri. Spend the day in Korzok village with its basic cafes or walk to the Changpa (the nomads of the Changthang) grazing grounds near the village to interact with the nomads.
Day 06: Korzok - Mentok Kangri Base Camp (5250M)
Duration: 5-6 hours
We start walking along the Tso Moriri back the way we came and take a small path up to the Base Camp of Mentok Kangri. The trail today is a steady uphill with some moraine walking.
Day 07: Base Camp - Mentok Kangri Advance Base Camp
Duration: 3-4 hours
We walk up as close as we can to make the summit bid shorter, The location of the ABC will depend on the season.
Day 08: ABC - Summit (6200m) - Base Camp
Duration: 8-12 hours
We start the day in the early hours of the morning and make our way through the moraine. A steep climb take us to the summit ridge. An hour later, we reach the summit with unparalleled views of Tso Moriri and the mountains of Ladakh towering over it. Take in the expansive views of the Changthang. Descend down to Base Camp.
Day 09: Mentok Kangri Base Camp - Karzok
Duration: 4-5 hours
Walk back to Korzok village. This day can also be used as a contingency day in case of bad weather on the mountain.
Day 10: Korzok - Leh
Duration: 6-7 hours
Our cars pick us up from Korzok and drive us to Leh. Trip Ends!
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents.
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Dining Tents, Western Style Toilet Tents.
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water.
- Cook and camp staff.
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Pack animals (Horses/Mules) to carry loads on the route until Base Camp with personal portage up to 20 kg/person
- All J&K Forest Permits where applicable
- IMF Peak fee/State government royalty/permits where applicable
- All technical climbing group gear
- All transport from Manali to road head and back.
- All Staff Insurance
- Sleeping Bags
- Stay and food at hotels in Leh
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Any Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing.
Any other transport than whats mentioned in Cost includes.
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control.
- Any Guest Insurance.
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry every day
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal underwear / long johns (upper + lowers)
- Insulated water bottle/ flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Headgear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 season sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any