Solang - Hampta Ski Touring
Trip Type: Ski Touring
Region: Kullu - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 7 days
Max Altitude: 3800m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only
Solang Hampta Ski Touring Overview
A short week-long trip that gives you an introductory big mountain experience like few others. Starting in Solang nala, we start our trip skiing down alpine slopes accessible with a gondola. Through the week, we make our way to the old growth forests of Patalsu and onward to the deep powder bowls of Setan. Both Patalsu and Setan are complete backcountry areas only accessible by ski touring. The trip is a complete Himalayan backcountry experience and with no camping involved, it ensures that you get the best of all worlds.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this trek.
Solang - Hampta Ski Touring Detailed Itinerary
Day 01: Manali
Arrive in Manali and shift to Solang nulla. Spend the afternoon and evening doing some small ski runs. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Solang
We do a few runs at Solang nulla and at Phatru today to get used to the area and the snow conditions. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 03: Solang - Patalsu -Solang
Duration: 8-10 hours
Today we head up to Patalsu peak, 3800m with packed lunches. We start early in order to reach the peak and ski down on its north-west slopes to reach our hotel by the evening.
Day 04: Solang - Setan
Duration: 5 hours
Leave Solang today to drive to the village of Setan in the Hampta valley. It is a 30 km drive in total and should take 1 - 2 hrs. Once we check into the lodge at Setan, we can go out and do the Setan Top run. Overnight at a guesthouse.
Day 05: Setan
Duration: 8 hours
We head out early today to do the Bhujdhar run. Setan has great north facing slopes that have untouched powder for days after a storm.
Day 06: Setan
Duration: 8 hours
Another day on the deep powder slopes of Setan. Today we make our way to the top of Setan Dome through old growth cedar forests and alpine meadows and get a long run to the base of the Dome.
Day 07: Setan - Manali
We leave Setan to head back down to Manali. Trip Ends!
- Hotels/homestays on double occupancy
- Nutritious, high-calorie food will be served as per the itinerary
- Transport as detailed in the itinerary
- Ski guide for the duration of the trip.
- All Staff Insurance.
- All applicable permits.
- All expenses of personal nature like drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Any insurance.
- Any evacuations expenses.
- Sleeping bag.
- Your personal, technical and safety ski and mountaineering gear. It's best you get your own ski equipment as it will not be possible to rent any gear locally. Mountaineering gear, if any is needed can be easily got from our well-stocked gear store in Manali.
- Transport to and from Manali at the beginning and end of the trip
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- Skis / Split boards
- Climbing Skins
- Some spare Wax
- Ski Boots or Snow boarding boots
- Ski Poles
- Ski Crampons
- Good quality waterproof ski jacket.
- Ski trousers.
- Down Jacket.
- Fleece jacket.
- Beanie - warm
- Sun hat
- Warm ski gloves - (waterproof outer, fleece inner) are good.
- Mid-weight fleece top.
- Long sleeved shirt.
- Travel and camp trousers.
- 2 wicking tee-shirts (synthetic or merino wool)
- Normal clothing for around town.
- Long sleeved thermal top.
- Thermal long johns.
- 2-3 pairs underwear
- 2-3 pairs of standard socks
- 1 -2 pairs warm sock
You will need shoes for around camp and the same you could use when in town.
- Main bag - soft shell duffle bag for all your gear.
- Ski Pack (whatever you are normally used to) - You will use this to carry your camera, water bottle, Trail layers, trail food etc.
- Personal Avalanche Beacons. (You can also rent them from us if you need)
- Dark ski glasses/ googles (the sun is quite strong),
- A couple of spare passport photos photocopies of key documents. e.g., passport (data and visa pages),
- travel insurance policy
- Toiletries - Sunscreen SPF 40+, Moisturizer, Lip balm, Soap, Toilet paper
- Repair Kit (needle and thread).
- Headlamp/ Torch.
- Water Bottle- Ideally keep two bottles 1 litre each.
- Plastic Packing covers.