Chandratal Cycle Tour
Chandratal Cycle Tour
Trip Type: Cycling
Region: Kullu, Lahaul and Spiti
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 7 days
Max Altitude: 4300m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only July - Mid Sept
Chandratal Cycle Tour Overview
A short week-long trip that takes you from Manali, over the Rohtang Pass and into the Lahaul valley to reach the turquoise waters of the Chandratal (translated to Moon Lake because of its crescent shape). We take a detour from Gramphoo on to the road that goes to Spiti. The route follows the Chandra river all the way from here to the high altitude lake, Chandertal. The route is a mix of tarmac and rough un-metalled roads with beautiful views throughout of the Bara Shigri glacier, (one of the largest glaciers in India) and peaks of the CB range. The turquoise waters of the Chandratal lake at 4300m are a great culmination to a short exceptional adventure.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this trek.
Day 01: Manali
The participants arrive in Manali. Take the day to get acclimatised with your bike and for last minute preparations.
Day 02: Manali - Marhi (3400m)
Duration: 5-7 hours
The journey starts from the smooth roads of Manali. We take a series of hairpin bends to leave the Pine and Deodar forests surrounding Manali, cycle through the villages of Palchan, Kothi and Gulaba to reach the alpine meadows at Marhi - the base of the Rohtang Pass. Camp here for the night.
Day 03: Marhi - Chatru (3400m)
Distance: 50 km
Duration: 6-7 hours
We start the day with a steep climb to the top of Rohtang Pass at nearly 4000m. The descent from the pass is the beginning of the mix of metalled and unmetalled roads that we go on for the rest of the trip. The road forks at Gramphu, one goes to Leh and the other leads to Spiti. We follow the Chandra river here on to reach the camping grounds at Chatru.
Day 04: Chatru - Batal (3900m)
Distance: 30 km
Duration: 5-6 hours
We continue to ride along the Chandra river and pass numerous nallas on the way, including the infamous Pagal Nalla . The road today offers expansive views of the Chandrabhaga mountain range as we make our way to Batal. Overnight at Batal.
Day 05: Batal - Chandratal
Distance: 14 km
Duration: 2-3 hours
We leave the highway at Batal and start the journey to Chandratal. The lakes emerald waters are surrounded by gravelly mountains. On a still day, view the reflection of the surrounding mountains on its clear waters. Camping at the lake is not allowed. We camp a few kilometres away and spend the evening at the lake.
Day 06: At Chandratal
Take the day to explore the area around Chandratal. There are a few smaller waterbodies around the bigger lake. Spend the day hiking around or relaxing in the sun by the lake.
Day 07: Chandratal - Manali
Distance: 140 km
Duration: 6 hours
We leave the camping grounds to get into our vehicles for the 6 hour drive back to Manali. Trip Ends.
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Sleeping bags (Holofill) and Carry mats.
- Nutritious, high-calorie, vegetarian food.
- Guide, cook and camp helpers.
- Logistics Vehicle like tempo traveller to carry all our equipment.
- Participants are not expected to carry any loads other than your personal knapsack containing water bottle,camera and trail layers.
- Two people will be accommodated in one tent.
- Hotel accommodations in Manali on Day 1 in a budget hotel.
- All expenses of personal nature like drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Food in Manali
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend purchasing a suitable insurance cover.
- Mountain bike. (You could get your own cycles or could also rent from us.)
- Accommodation in Manali on Day 7
- Good quality waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Balaclava (thick fleece)
- Sun hat
- Cycle mitts
- Warm gloves - mountaineering gloves (waterproof outer, fleece inner) are good.
- Mid-weight fleece top
- Cycling tights (looser, "trackster" fit rather skin-tight lycra),
- Long sleeved shirt
- Travel trousers
- 2 wicking tee-shirts (synthetic or merino wool)
- Cotton tee-shirt for around town
- Long sleeved thermal top
- Thermal long johns
- 2-3 pairs underwear
- 2-3 pairs of standard socks
- 1 pair warm sock
- Cycling shoes, e.g. SPD's, if applicable (bring spare cleats)
- Trekking shoes and climbing shoes
- Flip-flops, Crocs or Sandals to wear around camp.
- Main bag - soft shell duffle bag to be kept in the logistics vehicle.
- Day Pack 15 - 20 lts - You will use this to carry your camera, water bottle, Trail layers, trail food etc.
- A bike helmet
- Dark glasses (the sun is very strong),
- A couple of spare passport photos photocopies of key documents. e.g., passport (data and visa pages),
- travel insurance policy
- Toiletries - Sunscreen SPF 40+, Moisturizer, Lip balm, Soap, Toilet paper
- Repair Kit (needle and thread).
- Headlamp/ Torch.
- Water Bottle- Ideally keep two bottles 1 litre each.
- Plastic Packing covers.