Deo Tibba Expedition (6001m)
Deo Tibba Expedition (6001m)
Trip Type: India Mountaineering
Region: Manali - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 15 days
Max Altitude: 6001m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Deo Tibba Expedition (6001m) Overview
Set back in the Manali valley, Deo Tibba Expedition is a popular climb among beginner mountaineers with some technical knowledge. The route we take to the summit is the same as the one taken by the Dutchman Van Graaf, who first climbed the peak in 1952 after a number of attempts by other parties.
The Deo Tibba Expedition begins from Manali town, drive to Jagatsukh village series and onward through a series of hairpin turns to reach the roadhead at Khanol village. It is a three-day hike over moderate terrain to reach the base camp at Tenta. Enroute, we walk through thick mixed forests to reach Chikka and through thinning high altitude forest to reach the alpine meadows at Seri. The periphery of the Seri grasslands give way to the Tenta cliffs and we make our way along the waterfalls to reach the base camp.
Deo Tibba (6001m) can be graded PD on the Alpine grading scale and makes for a great intermediate objective. From the base camp, a gully leads to Duhangan Col. Once atop Duhangan Col, we traverse the glacier and another shorter gully takes us to the summit ridge and onto the summit that gives us expansive views of the peaks of Kullu and Lahaul.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Arrival in Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning. Walk around town and orient yourself to your surroundings. The group meets for a trip orientation in the evening by the trip leader at the hotel. Overnight in a hotel - meals and stay not included in the trip cost.
Day 02: Acclimatisation day around Manali.
Duration: 4-5 hours
We leave for a hike today with packed lunches and return to Manali by the evening. Overnight in a hotel - meals and stay not included in the trip cost.
Day 03: Shopping and packing, in preparation for the climb
Today we do a final gear check and prepare for the climb ahead. Last opportunity to but any last minute supplies. Overnight in a hotel - meals and stay not included in the trip cost.
Day 04: Manali - Chikka (3500m)
Duration: 3 hours
We start our drive from Manali to Khanol Via the Jagatsukh Village. From the road-head at Khanol, it's a gradual climb through the forest to reach the open pastures at Chikka. We trek along the Duhangan Nala today and camp on its banks. There is a temple and a few huts at Chikka. It also has many huge boulders that make for fun evening exploration.
Day 05: Chikka - Seri (3800m)
Duration: 5-6 hours
The day starts with a moderate ascent through a mixed forest that we quickly leave behind. We trek through the tree line to reach the alpine meadows at Seri. The flatlands at Seri are a summer pasture for the animals in the valley villages. We camp right next to the Tenta cliffs with multiple waterfalls crashing to the rocks below.
Day 06: Seri - Base Camp at Tenta (4000m)
Duration: 4-5 hours
A short hike and a few switchbacks along the Tenta cliffs gets us to our Base Camp for the climb. Once we establish camp, we leave for an acclimatisation hike to the glacial Chota Chandratal Lake (4480m). We can clearly see our route up ahead from the lake. Return to the Base Camp for the night.
Day 07: Tenta - Advanced Base Camp (4500m) - Tenta.
Duration: 6-7 hours
We climb higher and load ferry to our Advance Base Camp on the snow, at the base of the gully that leads to Duhangan Col. After spending some time at altitude, we return to our base camp for the night.
Day 08: Tenta - ABC (4500m)
Duration: 3-4 hours
We hike the same route as the day before and establish ABC. Take the afternoon to brush up your snow and ice skills before the technical part of the climb starts.
Day 09 - 13: Climbing days
We make our way up the gully and beyond Duhangan Col. Beyond Duhangan Col, we make our way through the glacier to reach Camp 1. The route to Camp 2 is a gradual climb through the glacier. We set up camp at the base of the piton gully. On the summit day, we make our way through the gully and onto the summit ridge. The summit opens up expansive views of Indrasan, right next to us and the further peaks of Kullu and Lahaul. We make our way back to Camp 1 and onto the Base Camp the next day.
Day 14: Tenta - Chikka
Duration: 5 hours
retrace our steps back to Chikka and camp by the Duhangan Nala again.
Day 15: Chikka - Manali
Duration: 2-3 hours
Make our way back to the road head where our vehicles pick us up. Drive to Manali. Trip Ends!
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents.
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Dining Tents, Western Style Toilet Tents.
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water.
- Cook and camp staff.
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Pack animals (Horses/Mules) to carry loads on the route until Base Camp with personal portage up to 20 kg/person
- All HP state Forest Permits,
- IMF Peak fee/State government royalty/permits where applicable
- All technical climbing group gear
- All transport from Manali to road head and back.
- All Staff Insurance
- Sleeping Bags
- Stay and food at hotels in Manali.
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Any Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing.
Any other transport than whats mentioned in Cost includes.
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control.
- Any Guest Insurance.
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry every day
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal underwear / long johns (upper + lowers)
- Insulated water bottle/ flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Headgear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 season sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any