Friendship Peak Paragliding Expedition (5250m)
Friendship Peak Paragliding Expedition (5250m)
Trip Type: Mountaineering & Paragliding
Region: Manali - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 7 days
Max Altitude: 5250m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Friendship Peak Paragliding Expedition (5250m) Overview
Friendship Peak is popular among climbers who have introductory mountaineering knowledge. The peak is at the headwall of the main Manali/Beas valley and is clearly visible from Manali town.
The approach for the mountain starts with a drive from Manali to Dhundhi past the popular summer tourist spot Solangnala. We start our trek by making our way along the Beas river to the pastures at Bakarthach and past Beas Kund - the holy pond where Hindus believe that Rishi Vyas, who wrote the Mahabharata took his daily bath. We make our way up to flatlands at Lady Leg where we set up Camp 1.
Friendship peak is a trekking or non-technical 5300m summit accessed through Beas Kund Glacier, one of our favourite areas for mountaineering, skiing and snowshoeing. This trip can be fit into a much shorter duration depending on the skill and acclimatisation of the climbers.
For the paragliding portion of this trip, we take off from the summit and fly over the Beas headwall as the peaks of Lahaul become visible. Fly over the summits of some of the most popular peaks in Indian Mountaineering. We have the option of landing at Solangnala or directly in Manali.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Arrival in Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning and check into your hotel. Walk around town and orient yourself to your surroundings. Final gear check and prepare for the climb ahead. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Manali - Bakarthach 3300m
Duration: 5 hrs
Drive up to Solang nala and further ahead on the Rohtang Tunnel road. We start our trek from Dhundi, on the banks of the Beas. We follow the river, through a couple snow bridges and gradually ascend to the meadow at Bakarthach.
Day 03 and 04: Acclimatisation days around Bhakarthach
We take these days to explore the area around Bakarthach, acclimatise ourselves and brush up on our snow and ice skills for the climb ahead. Return back to base camp for the night on both days.
Day 05: Bakarthach - Camp 1
Duration: 6-7 hours
We leave Bakarthach and climb up steeply to cross over to the Beas Kund Glacier. We descend to the glacier. From here we climb up a steep section to the ridge on Lady Leg where we set up our Camp 1.
Day 06 and 07: Reserved for summit attempts
Duration: 10-12 hours
The summit is a single push from Camp 1. The terrain goes through moderately steep snow slopes. As we reach the summit after negotiating a rocky ridge, an amphitheater of peaks in the Kullu and Lahaul valleys lie before us. We can also see the town of Manali from the summit. Take off from the summit and fly over the glaciated peaks of Lahaul and Kullu. The head wall of the Beas valley makes for a stunning flight as peak after peak gets exposed as you gain height. Land at Manali where our vehicles pick you up and take you to your hotel. Trip Ends!
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents.
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Dining Tents, Western Style Toilet Tents.
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water.
- Cook and camp staff.
- Climbing & Paragliding guide for the duration of the trip
- Pack animals (Horses/Mules) to carry loads on the route until Base Camp with personal portage up to 20 kg/person
- All HP state Forest Permits,
- IMF Peak fee/State government royalty/permits where applicable
- All technical climbing group gear
- All transport from Manali to road head and back.
- All Staff Insurance
- Sleeping Bags
- Stay and food at hotels in Manali.
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Any Personal Paragliding Gear
- Any Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing.
Any other transport than whats mentioned in Cost includes.
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control.
- Any Guest Insurance.
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry every day
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal underwear / long johns (upper + lowers)
- Insulated water bottle/ flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Headgear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 season sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Personal Paragliding Gear - Wing, Harness, Reserve etc.
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any