Friendship Peak Ski Touring
Trip Type: Ski Touring
Region: Kullu - Himachal
Duration: 7 days
Max Altitude: 5289m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only
Friendship Peak Ski Touring Overview
Set in the Manali valley, Friendship Peak is popular among climbers who have introductory mountaineering knowledge. The ski descent is great for intermediate ski mountaineers. The peak is at the headwall of the main Manali/Beas valley and is clearly visible from Manali town. Friendship peak is a trekking or non-technical 5300m summit that is extremely accessible and makes for a great short spring adventure!
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this trek.
Day 01: Manali - Solangnala (2400m)
Arrive in Manali and shift to Solang nulla. Spend the afternoon and evening doing some small ski runs. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Solangnala (2400m)
We do a few runs at Solang nulla and at Phatru today to get used to the area and the snow conditions. Alternatively, we can head up to Patalsu peak, 3800m with packed lunches. We start early in order to reach the peak and ski down on its north-west slopes to reach our hotel by the evening. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 03: Solangnala - Dhundi (2900m)
Start our expedition today following the road that leads up to the Rohtang tunnel. This road is very susceptible to avalanches in late winter and early spring. We camp at the side of the snowed out road in Dhundhi on the banks of the Beas river.
Day 04: Dhundi - Beas Kund (3600m)
A longer day today, we start to gain elevartion steadily and reach the snowed out summer pastures of Bakarthach after crossing a couple snow bridges over the Beas River. We make our way by the late afternoon to the Beas Kund glacier and camp overnight.
Day 05 - Day 07: Climbing and Skiing
Over the next three days we make our way up the mountain. Friendship does not have any steep technical sections and our route is mostly over snow walls. We make our way to Lady Leg which will serve as Advance Base Camp and move towards the summit in one push from there. The slope gradient rarely goes over 40 degrees and the snowed-in glacier makes for an enjoyable ski descent.
Day 08: Beas Kund - Manali
We retrace our steps down to the road head where our vehicles pick us up. Drive to your hotel in Manali.
Day 09: Manali
Breakfast and Departure. Trip Ends!
- Camping tents on double occupancy
- Kitchen, Dining tents
- Insulated Sleeping Pads.
- Nutritious, high-calorie food will be served as per the itinerary
- Cook and camp helpers until base camp.
- Horses carry loads on the route until base camp.
- Transport as detailed in the itinerary
- All technical climbing group gear.
- Rooms on double occupancy as per the itinerary in budget hotels in Solangnala and Manali
- Ski guide for the duration of the trip.
- All expenses of personal nature like drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Any insurance
- Any evacuations expenses
- Sleeping bag.
- Your Personal Ski and mountaineering gear. It's best you get your own Ski equipment as it will not be possible to rent any gear locally.
- Transport to and from Manali at the beginning and end of the trip
- Anything not mentioned in the inclusions
- Good quality waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Balaclava (thick fleece)
- Sun hat
- Cycle mitts
- Warm gloves - mountaineering gloves (waterproof outer, fleece inner) are good.
- Mid-weight fleece top
- Cycling tights (looser, "trackster" fit rather skin-tight lycra),
- Long sleeved shirt
- Travel trousers
- 2 wicking tee-shirts (synthetic or merino wool)
- Cotton tee-shirt for around town
- Long sleeved thermal top
- Thermal long johns
- 2-3 pairs underwear
- 2-3 pairs of standard socks
- 1 pair warm sock
- Cycling shoes, e.g. SPD's, if applicable (bring spare cleats)
- Trekking shoes and climbing shoes
- Flip-flops, Crocs or Sandals to wear around camp.
- Main bag - soft shell duffle bag to be kept in the logistics vehicle.
- Day Pack 15 - 20 lts - You will use this to carry your camera, water bottle, Trail layers, trail food etc.
- A bike helmet
- Dark glasses (the sun is very strong),
- A couple of spare passport photos photocopies of key documents. e.g., passport (data and visa pages),
- travel insurance policy
- Toiletries - Sunscreen SPF 40+, Moisturizer, Lip balm, Soap, Toilet paper
- Repair Kit (needle and thread).
- Headlamp/ Torch.
- Water Bottle- Ideally keep two bottles 1 litre each.
- Plastic Packing covers.