Trip Type: Mountaineering
Region: Manali - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 8-10 days
Max Altitude: 5289m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Friendship Peak Overview
Friendship Peak is popular among climbers who have introductory mountaineering knowledge. The peak is at the headwall of the main Manali/Beas valley and is clearly visible from Manali town. Friendship peak is a trekking or non-technical 5300m summit accessed through Beas Kund Glacier, one of our favourite areas for mountaineering, skiing and snowshoeing. This trip can be fit into a much shorter duration depending on the skill and acclimatisation of the climbers.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Arrival in Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning and check into your hotel. Walk around town and orient yourself to your surroundings. Final gear check and prepare for the climb ahead. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Manali - Bakarthach 3300m
Duration: 5 hrs
Drive up to Solang nala and further ahead on the Rohtang Tunnel road. We start our trek from Dhundi, on the banks of the Beas. We follow the river, through a couple snow bridges and gradually ascend to the meadow at Bakarthach.
Day 03 and 04: Acclimatisation days around Bhakarthach
We take these days to explore the area around Bakarthach, acclimatise ourselves and brush up on our snow and ice skills for the climb ahead. Return back to base camp for the night on both days.
Day 05: Bakarthach - Camp 1
Duration: 6-7 hours
We leave Bakarthach and climb up steeply to cross over to the Beas Kund Glacier. We descend to the glacier. From here we climb up a steep section to the ridge on Lady Leg where we set up our Camp 1.
Day 06 and 07: Reserved for summit attempts
Duration: 10-12 hours
The summit is a single push from Camp 1. The terrain goes through moderately steep snow slopes. As reach the summit after negotiating a rocky ridge an amphitheater of peaks in the Kullu and Lahaul valleys lay before us. We can also see the town of Manali from the summit. We return to ABC for the night.
Day 08: Return to Bhakarthach from ABC
Duration: 5 hours
Retrace our steps to reach the green meadows at Bakarthach.
Day 09: Return to Solang and drive back to Manali
Duration: 5 hours
We make our way to our waiting vehicles and drive to our hotel in Manali.
Day 10: Manali
Breakfast and Departure. Trip Ends!
- All transfers in a non-ac vehicle as per the itinerary (Manali Hotel - Manali Hotel)
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents/ hotel
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water ( meals in hotels not included)
- Camp staff and cooks until the Base Camp
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Portage up to 10kg/person until the Base Camp
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All technical climbing group gear
- Peak fee/sanctuary fee/royalty/permits where applicable
- Sleeping Bags
- Any food in Manali hotels
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend purchasing a suitable insurance cover - asc360 provides adventure insurance in the Indian Himalayas
- Transfers to Manali hotels
- Transport to and from Manali at the beginning and end of the trip
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry everyday
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal Underwear / Long Johns (Upper + Lowers)
- Insulated Water bottle/ 750 ml flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (Waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Head Gear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 Season Sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any