India Mountaineering Course
India Mountaineering Course
Trip Type: Mountaineering Course
Region: Manali - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Price: USD 460 + 5% Service Tax - This Includes IMF fees for foreigners
Duration: 10 days
Max Altitude: 5000m
Batch Dates: 02 - 11 May, 2021
Mountaineering Course India Overview
The India Mountaineering course is designed for beginners who have no experience to High Altitude Mountaineering. The course objective is to introduce participants into the world of mountaineering.
Our 10 day India mountaineering course is run on the Beas Kund Glacier in the Kullu valley of Himachal Pradesh. The course is run on the Beas Kund Glacier a little ahead of the beautiful mountain Tarn called Beas Kund. The base camp is surrounded with 5000m - 6000m peaks like Hanuman Tibba, Shitidhar, Manali peak, Ladakhi, Friendship peak, Priyadarshini etc.
During the 10-day program, you will be introduced to the basics of ice and snow craft and how to use mountaineering gear. You will also practice under the supervision of a qualified instructor. The objective of the course is not to summit a peak but we will do a height gain around the Beaskund Glaicer at the end of the course. The idea of the height gain is to use the skill you have learned on the trip. The area of the height gain will be decided in the field by the lead instructor based on the group dynamics.
Dates and Cost
Fixed Departure in 2021.
02 May - 11 May, 2021
Trip cost Indians: Rs 27,000 + 5% GST
Trip cost Foreigners: USD 460 + 5% GST - This includes IMF peak fees
Feel free to write to us with any questions you might have
Mountaineering Course India Objectives
- Develop expedition travel and mountaineering skills.
- Develop confidence with moving camps in mountains, living comfortably high in the Himalayas and carrying loads.
- Cover all technical snow and ice climbing skills necessary for climbing a peak.
- Learn wilderness and glacier navigation skills.
- Learn about climbing at high altitudes and proper acclimatisation processes.
Course curriculum in brief:
- Use of ice axe
- Snow Craft
- Ice Craft
- Self-arrest techniques
- Techniques in ascending / descending snow slopes, types and use of snow anchors
- Techniques in ascending / descending ice walls.
- Use of Jumar and Ascending Knots.
- Roped climbing and belay systems
- Introduction of crampons, French cramponing and other ice climbing techniques.
- Different types of ice anchors, protections and belay systems
- Glacier travel, crevasse rescue and evacuation
- Fixed rope routines
- Establishing high camps
- LNT (Leave no traces) practices
Day 01: Arrive in Manali
Day 02: Pre-departure preparations
Day 03: Drive to Dhundi and trek to Bhakarthach.
Day 04-09: Program curriculum including snow craft and ice craft, cramponing, snow and ice anchors and belays, glacier travel, self arrest, crevasse rescue, ice climbing, establishment of high camps and height gain.
Day 10: Return to Manali by evening.
1. Camping Tents, Kitchen, Dining tents and Insulated Sleeping Pads.
2. Nutritious, high calorie food will be served. Dhundi to Dhundi.
3. All instruction for the Mountaineering course.
4. Cook and camp helpers until base camp.
5. Horses carry loads on the route until base camp.
6. Transport between Manali and Solang in Jeeps.
7. All technical climbing gear.
- All expenses of personal nature like drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Sleeping Bags. (We recommend to get bags which are comfort rated to - 5 to - 8 deg C)
- Accommodation and food in Manali.
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend to purchase suitable insurance cover.
- Backpack / rucksack (70 lts)- This will go on Horses until BC
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - This is what you can use everyday for the hike and to go to the training area.
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/ t shirts / sweat shirt.
- T-shirt Wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Suntan lotion and toiletries.
- Insulated Water bottle/ 750 ml flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Windproof shell jacket and pants.
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves thick woollens usually do but if you want something water proof then that is also cool.
- Warm socks.
- Warm Beanie.
- Thermal underwear's.
- Hiking Poles.
- Personal climbing harness.
- Prescribed medication if any.