Kang Yatze Peak I & II
Trip Type: Mountaineering
Region: Markha Valley - Ladakh
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 10-14 days
Max Altitude: 6400m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only
Kang Yatze Peak Overview
At the head of Markha valley, Kang Yatse II is a non-technical or trekking peak for those who have beginner mountaineering knowledge. Set above the vast Nimaling pasture, it's a beautiful peak that towers over the valley. The nearest town is Leh, the capital of Ladakh. KY II can be classified as a F on the Alpine grade.
The peak also has Kang Yatze I which is 6400m and forms a harder climbing objective for the experienced mountaineer. The last 500 mts of the climb is where the crux lies and would be classified as a D on the alpine grade. Expect an ice wall / compact snow (depending on the season) of about 60 degrees to ascend. On a clear summit day, view K2, Broad Peak and Gasherbrum Massif in the North and Nun, Kun and the Zanskar peaks in the West.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Arrival in Leh
Get a flight to Leh town and transfer to the hotel. Relax and acclimatize. Visit Leh market in the evening. Overnight Hotel.
Day 02 : Acclimatization in Leh.
Optional visit to the Leh Palace and the Shey and Thikse gompas. Last minute shopping in the Leh market. Overnight hotel.
Day 03: Leh - Shang Sumdo (3300m)
Duration: 3 hours
We drive to Shang Sumdo today, with an optional stop at the Hemis Monastery. Our camp for the day is in Shang Sumdo village, close to the road. The village as a well-maintained monastery that you can visit.
Day 04: Shang Sumdo - Choskirmo
Duration: 3-4 hours
We start the day with mostly walking along the river bed to get to Choskirmo village. The valley starts getting narrower as we gain height. We camp above the village for the night.
Day 05: Choskirmo - Kong Maru La Base
Duration: 5-6 hours
Walk up the narrow valley on a gradual incline. We cross the shallow stream many times today - mostly jumping on rocks, dependent on water levels. We camp at the base of Kong Maru La.
Day 06: Kong Maru La Base - Nimaling (4700m)
A long day today. We start on the steep uphill to the Komg Maru La Pass Trek up to Base Camp at Nimaling, after crossing Kong Maru La at 5260m. At the top of the pass, the valley opens up and we can see the vast pastures of Nimaling. Descend down to Nimaling to camp by the stream.
Day 07: Nimaling - Base Camp (4800m)
Duration: 2-3 hours
Today is a short day. We proceed from Nimaling over a small pass and descend down to the Base Camp for Kang Yatse on the banks of another stream.
Day 08: Base Camp - Kang Yatse II (6200m) - Base Camp
Duration: 8-10 hours
We start in the early hours of the morning and make our way through a moraine to the glaciated snow slopes of Kang Yatse. It is a gradual walk all the way except for a few steep bits where we rope up. On a clear summit day, view K2, Broad Peak and Gasherbrum Massif in the North and Nun, Kun and the Zanskar peaks in the West. Return to Base Camp in the early afternoon and of Kang Yatse I to the East.
Day 09: Base Camp - KY 1 Advance Base Camp (5500m)
Duration: 5-6 hours
For our summit attempt on Kang Yatse 1 we establish an Advance Base Camp closer to the climbing route on the glacier. Overnight at ABC.
Day 10 & 11: ABC - Kang Yatse I - BC
We start in the dark again and negotiate a 150m ice/snow wall and onward to another shorter ice wall before we reach the summit. We summit and return to Base Camp.
Day 12: Base Camp - Choskirmo
Duration: 6-8 hours
We retrace our steps to Nimaling and up Kong Maru La and return to Choskirmo.
Day 13: Choskirmo - Shang Sumdo - Leh
Duration: 5 hours
Walk 2 hours to get to our waiting vehicles at the village of Chokdo. Our cars take us directly to Leh. Wash up & the spend the evening shopping in Leh. Overnight in a hotel in Leh.
Day 14: Leh
Breakfast and Departure. Trip Ends!
- All transfers in a non-ac vehicle as per the itinerary (Manali Hotel - Manali Hotel)
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents/ hotel
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water ( meals in hotels not included)
- Camp staff and cooks until the Base Camp
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Portage up to 10kg/person until the Base Camp
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All technical climbing group gear
- Peak fee/sanctuary fee/royalty/permits where applicable
- Sleeping Bags
- Any food in Manali hotels
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend purchasing a suitable insurance cover - asc360 provides adventure insurance in the Indian Himalayas
- Transfers to Manali hotels
- Transport to and from Manali at the beginning and end of the trip
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry everyday
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal Underwear / Long Johns (Upper + Lowers)
- Insulated Water bottle/ 750 ml flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (Waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Head Gear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 Season Sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any