Manali - Chamba Cycling Tour
Trip Type: Cycling
Region: Kullu, Lahaul and Chamba
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 9 days
Max Altitude: 4390m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only July - Mid Sept
Manali - Chamba Cycling Holiday Overview
A short nine-day trip that takes you on a route few travel. We start our adventure from Manali, over the Rohtang Pass and into the Lahaul valley, on the same road that goes to Leh. We soon leave the Leh Highway and turn in to the Pattan Valley and onward to the remote Pangi Valley. Cycling along the stark landscapes carved by the Chandrabhaga river, this trip leads you to vistas unlike any other you would have seen. The route is a mix of tarmac and rough un-metalled roads. Ending in Dalhousie, it combines two of Himachal's most scenic hill stations.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this trek.
Day 01: Manali
The participants arrive in Manali. Take the day to get acclimatised with your bike and for last minute preparations.
Day 02: Manali - Marhi (3400 m)
Duration: 5-7 hours
The journey starts from the smooth roads of Manali. We take a series of hairpin bends to leave the Pine and Deodar forests surrounding Manali, cycle through the villages of Palchan, Kothi and Gulaba to reach the alpine meadows at Marhi - the base of the Rohtang Pass. Camp here for the night.
Day 03: Marhi - Sissu (3200m)
Distance: 50 km
Duration: 5-6 hours
We start the day with a steep climb to the top of Rohtang Pass at nearly 4000m, our first pass on the trip. We cycle downhill to reach Koksar and then cycle along the Chandra river to reach Sissu.
Day 04: Sissu - Udaipur (3200m)
Duration: 6-7 hours
We continue on the Manali Leh highway and leave it at Tandi - the confluence of the Chandra and Bhaga rivers which form Chandrabhaga river or Chenab. We continue on a lesser travelled road on the Tandi - Kishtwar Road to reach Udaipur, one of the two big towns in the Pattan Valley. We stay in a guest house or camp overnight.
Day 05: Udaipur - Sach (3000m)
Distance: 65 km
Duration: 6-7 hours
Cycle along the Chandrabhaga river today thorough a rocky and forested landscape. The route, for the most part, is a gradual ascent that take you deeper into the valley. We stop for the day in either Sach village or one of the villages on the main road.
Day 06: Sach - Sach Pass (4390m) - Satrundi (2900m)
Distance: 60 km
Duration: 7-8 hours
A long day today, we cycle through another major town, Killar. We leave the Tandi Kishtwar road shortly after and start the ascent to Sach Pass. The condition of the road varies seasonally. We spend some time at the top of the pass, the highest point we reach on this trip and then start the short downhill ride to Satrundi. Camp overnight at Satrundi.
Day 07: Satrundi - Airias (2300m)
Duration: 4-5 hours
Today we ride mostly downhill with just a few ascents and make our way to the lush green hamlet of Airias. The road becomes gradually better as we make our way to lower altitude. Camp overnight at Airias.
Day 08: Airias - Dalhousie (1970m)
Duration: 5-6 hours
For our last riding day on the trip, we proceed downhill to reach Dalhousie town. Check in to a hotel for the night.
Day 09: Dalhousie
Transfer to the Dalhousie bus stand after breakfast. Trip Ends!
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Sleeping bags (Holofill) and Carry mats.
- Nutritious, high-calorie, vegetarian food.
- Guide, cook and camp helpers.
- Logistics Vehicle like tempo traveller to carry all our equipment.
- Participants are not expected to carry any loads other than your personal knapsack containing water bottle,camera and trail layers.
- Two people will be accommodated in one tent.
- Hotel accommodations in Manali on Day 1 and Dalhousie on Day 8 in a budget hotel.
- All expenses of personal nature like drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Food in Manali and Dalhousie
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend purchasing a suitable insurance cover.
- Mountain bike. (You could get your own cycles or could also rent from us.)
- Transfer from Dalhousie
- Good quality waterproof jacket
- Waterproof trousers
- Balaclava (thick fleece)
- Sun hat
- Cycle mitts
- Warm gloves - mountaineering gloves (waterproof outer, fleece inner) are good.
- Mid-weight fleece top
- Cycling tights (looser, "trackster" fit rather skin-tight lycra),
- Long sleeved shirt
- Travel trousers
- 2 wicking tee-shirts (synthetic or merino wool)
- Cotton tee-shirt for around town
- Long sleeved thermal top
- Thermal long johns
- 2-3 pairs underwear
- 2-3 pairs of standard socks
- 1 pair warm sock
- Cycling shoes, e.g. SPD's, if applicable (bring spare cleats)
- Trekking shoes and climbing shoes
- Flip-flops, Crocs or Sandals to wear around camp.
- Main bag - soft shell duffle bag to be kept in the logistics vehicle.
- Day Pack 15 - 20 lts - You will use this to carry your camera, water bottle, Trail layers, trail food etc.
- A bike helmet
- Dark glasses (the sun is very strong),
- A couple of spare passport photos photocopies of key documents. e.g., passport (data and visa pages),
- travel insurance policy
- Toiletries - Sunscreen SPF 40+, Moisturizer, Lip balm, Soap, Toilet paper
- Repair Kit (needle and thread).
- Headlamp/ Torch.
- Water Bottle- Ideally keep two bottles 1 litre each.
- Plastic Packing covers.