Trip Type: Mountaineering
Region: Kullu and Lahaul
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 18 days
Max Altitude: 6443m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only
Menthosa Peak Overview
Menthosa peak at 6443m is the second highest peak in the Lahaul valley. Situated on the periphery of the Miyar Nulla this is a good climb to progress your climbing and mountaineering skills. Depending on what season you choose to climb the peak the grade can vary between a PD and AD. The upper reaches of the mountain are glaciated and require ice climbing and a crevassed glacier crossed on a seasonal snow bridge to get to the summit.
The climb offers some amazing sights of the beautifully pastoral Miyar valley. If you choose to travel around here early to late spring then this can also be a good ski mountaineering objective.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Arrival in Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning and check into your hotel. Walk around town and orient yourself to your surroundings. Final gear check and prepare for the climb ahead. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Manali - Urgos (3400m)
Duration: 10 hours
We leave Manali early in the morning over the Rohtang Pass and pass Udaipur town to enter the Miyar Valley and reach Urgos village.
Day 03: Urgos - Base Camp (3900m)
Duration: 5-7 hours
Start the trek today walking along the Urgos Nalla through a mixed forest giving way to high altitude meadows. We camp at a large meadow at the base of the mountain right next to the Urgos Nalla.
Day 04-06: Acclimatisation days
Duration: Multiple hours
Spend the next couple days exploring the area around base camp and acclimatising to the altitude.
Day 07-15: Climbing days
We spend the next 9 days establishing Advance Base Camp, Camp 1 and Camp 2 and making a summit push. The route to ABC is through glacial moraine and past a small lake. We make our way through a steep snow wall to reach Urgos Pass. The technical sections of the climb are a 70m ice wall and a bergshrund after the summit camp. The final summit push is over gradual terrain and the top gives us great panoramic views of Lahaul, Pangi and Zanskar. Return to Base Camp.
Day 16: Base Camp - Urgos.
Duration: 4 hours
We retrace our steps back to Urgos village.
Day 17: Drive back to Manali.
Duration: 8-10 hours
Drive back to Manali and reach the hotel by the evening.
Day 18: Manali
Breakfast and Departure. Trip Ends!
- All transfers in a non-ac vehicle as per the itinerary (Manali Hotel - Manali Hotel)
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents/ hotel
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water ( meals in hotels not included)
- Camp staff and cooks until the Base Camp
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Portage up to 10kg/person until the Base Camp
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All technical climbing group gear
- Peak fee/sanctuary fee/royalty/permits where applicable
- Sleeping Bags
- Any food in Manali hotels
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend purchasing a suitable insurance cover - asc360 provides adventure insurance in the Indian Himalayas
- Transfers to Manali hotels
- Transport to and from Manali at the beginning and end of the trip
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry everyday
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal Underwear / Long Johns (Upper + Lowers)
- Insulated Water bottle/ 750 ml flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (Waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Head Gear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 Season Sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any