Mentok Kangri Peak
Trip Type: Mountaineering
Region: Rupshu Valley - Ladakh
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 11 days
Max Altitude: 6250m
Batch Dates: Custom Dates Only
Mentok Kangri Peak Overview
Mentok Kangri lies in the Rupsu valley of Ladakh on the Changthang Plateau. The Changthang plateau is the 1600km long Tibetan plateau that extends into southeastern Ladakh The Mentok group consists of 3 peaks 6200m, 6150m and 6250m. The base camp of the three Mentok Kangri peaks is just a day's walk away from Korzok on the banks of Tso Moriri lake. While there are a few technical sections, it's one of the easier peaks on the Changthang if one is well acclimatised. These peaks can be graded F - AD on the Alpine system. The nearest town is Leh, the capital of Ladakh.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Arrival in Leh (3400m)
Get a flight to Leh town and transfer to the hotel. Relax and acclimatise. Visit Leh market in the evening. Overnight Hotel.
Day 02 and 03: Acclimatisation days around Leh.
Optional visit to the Leh palace and the Shey, Thikse and Hemis gompas. We also go on short hikes to get acclimated to the altitude. Last minute shopping in the Leh market. Overnight hotel.
Day 04: Drive to Korzok (4600m)
Duration: 6-7 hours
We start on a scenic drive along the Indus River until Mahi and onward to the banks of the Tso Moriri. Tso Moriri is the largest high altitude lake entirely within India and we camp at its banks. Rest for the remainder of the day as you need to adjust to the altitude change. Overnight Camp.
Day 05: An additional acclimatisation day around Korzok and Tso Moriri Lake.
We take a day to rest before the climb to Mentok Kangri. Spend the day in Korzok village with its basic cafes or walk to the Changpa (the nomads of the Changthang) grazing grounds near the village to interact with the nomads.
Day 06: Korzok - Base Camp (5250M)
Duration: 5-6 hours
We start walking along the Tso Moriri back the way we came and take a small path up to the Base Camp of Mentok Kangri. The trail today is a steady uphill with some moraine walking.
Day 07: Base Camp - Advance Base Camp
Duration: 3-4 hours
We walk up as close as we can to make the summit bid shorter, The location of the ABC will depend on the season.
Day 08: ABC - Summit (6200m) - Base Camp
Duration: 8-12 hours
We start the day in the early hours of the morning and make our way through the moraine. A steep climb take us to the summit ridge. An hour later, we reach the summit with unparalleled views of Tso Moriri and the mountains of Ladakh towering over it. Take in the expansive views of the Changthang. Descend down to Base Camp.
Day 09: Base Camp - Karzok
Duration: 4-5 hours
Walk back to Korzok village. This day can also be used as a contingency day in case of bad weather on the mountain.
Day 10: Korzok - Leh
Duration: 6-7 hours
Our cars pick us up from Korzok and drive us to Leh. Overnight in a hotel in Leh.
Day 11: Leh
Breakfast and Departure. Trip Ends!
- All transfers in a non-ac vehicle as per the itinerary (Manali Hotel - Manali Hotel)
- All arrangements for staying and camping while on trip
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents/ hotel
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water ( meals in hotels not included)
- Camp staff and cooks until the Base Camp
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Portage up to 10kg/person until the Base Camp
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All technical climbing group gear
- Peak fee/sanctuary fee/royalty/permits where applicable
- Sleeping Bags
- Any food in Manali hotels
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend purchasing a suitable insurance cover - asc360 provides adventure insurance in the Indian Himalayas
- Transfers to Manali hotels
- Transport to and from Manali at the beginning and end of the trip
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry everyday
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal Underwear / Long Johns (Upper + Lowers)
- Insulated Water bottle/ 750 ml flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (Waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Head Gear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 Season Sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any