Tharang Peak (6066m) Miyar Valley
Trip Type: Mountaineering
Region: Lahaul - Himachal
Grade: Moderately Challenging
Duration: 16 days
Max Altitude: 6066m
Batch Dates: Custom Trips Only
Tharang Peak (6066m) Miyar Valley Overview
The Tharang Peak is at the head of the Tharang Nalla is a side valley running East of the main Miyar Nalla, a tributary of the Chenab river. The Miyar valley is one of the most scenic valleys of Lahaul with its fertile valley base, towering rock walls and the meandering Miyar Nalla cutting through it all.
We start the trip with a drive to Udaipur in Lahaul and take the subsidiary road into the Miyar valley. The trek starts from Shukto village - the last motorable point in the valley and passes Khanjer village to get to the village's expansive pea and potato fields. We move onward crossing several streams and passing the rolling meadows of Thanpattan to reach the base camp of the Tharang peaks.
The Tharang Group consists of 3 main peaks: Tharang 1 - 6066m, Tharang 2 - 6011m and Tharang 3 - 5870m. The Miyar valley is a mountaineer's delight with innumerable 5000 - 6000m peaks it is also often compared to the Yosemite with its awe-inspiring granite walls. The grade for all 3 peaks can vary between F - AD depending on what you choose to climb.
This is a custom departure tour and so please write to us for prices and more info on this climb.
Day 01: Manali
Arrive in Manali in the morning and check into your hotel. Walk around town and orient yourself to your surroundings. Final gear check and prepare for the climb ahead. Overnight in a hotel.
Day 02: Manali - Shukto (3300m)
Duration: 8-10 hours
We leave Manali early in the morning over the Rohtang Pass and pass Udaipur town to enter the Miyar Valley and reach Urgos village.
Day 03: Shukto - Base Camp(3600m)
Duration: 4-5 hours
Start the trek today and walk along the Tharang Nalla to get to the base camp at the foot of the Tharang Nulla.
Day 04-06: Acclimatisation days
Spend the next couple days exploring the area around base camp and acclimatising to the altitude.
Day 07-14: Climbing days
We spend the next 8 days establishing Advance Base Camp at the snout of the Tharang Nalla and climbing the mountain to acclimatise for the summit push. The summit push involves a 200m exposed icy traverse to get on the final summit ridge. The summit offers spectacular views of the peaks of the Miyar Valley, Zanskar and Lahaul. Return to Base Camp.
Day 15: Base Camp - Shukto.
Duration: 2-3 hours
We make our bay back to Shukto village.
Day 16: Drive back to Manali.
Duration: 8-10 hours
Drive back to Manali. Trip Ends!
- Accommodation on twin sharing basis in tents.
- Camping Tents, Kitchen tents, Dining Tents, Western Style Toilet Tents.
- Insulated sleeping pads.
- All meals as detailed in the itinerary and safe drinking water.
- Cook and camp staff.
- Climbing guide for the duration of the trip
- Pack animals (Horses/Mules) to carry loads on the route until Base Camp with personal portage up to 20 kg/person
- All HP state Forest Permits,
- IMF Peak fee/State government royalty/permits where applicable
- All technical climbing group gear
- All transport from Manali to road head and back.
- All Staff Insurance
- Sleeping Bags
- Stay and food at hotels in Manali.
- All expenses of personal nature like bottled water, drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Any Personal Mountaineering Equipment and Clothing.
Any other transport than whats mentioned in Cost includes.
- Any expense incurred due to force majeure such as landslide, bad weather or reasons beyond our control.
- Any Guest Insurance.
- Sturdy backpack/rucksack (70 lt)- This will go on horses until Base Camp
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - to carry every day
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/T-shirts/sweatshirt.
- T-shirt wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Sunscreen (SPF 50+) and toiletries.
- Thermal underwear / long johns (upper + lowers)
- Insulated water bottle/ flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Rain Gear
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves - thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves - thick (waterproof)
- Warm socks
- Headgear (balaclavas/woollen cap, sun hat, bandana etc.)
- 4 season sleeping bag (-10 deg C or lower)
- Personal recreation: camera, books, music, cards etc
- Hiking poles
- Personal climbing harness
- Ice axe
- Rope slings for self anchors
- Prescribed medication if any