Winter Mountaineering Course
Winter Mountaineering Course
Trip Type: Mountaineering Course
Duration: 15 days
Max Altitude: 6000m+
Batch Dates: 12 - 26 Jan, 2022
Mountaineering Course India Overview
The Winter Mountaineering Course is for climbers who have some experience with technical climbing and high altitude. The course is designed to provide a safe introduction to harsh winter climbing temperatures and terrain to enable winter ascents and condition the body for 8000m peaks in the spring/summer.
Our 15-day winter mountaineering course is run near Rumtse Village in Ladakh. We set up base on the Changthang Plateau. Extending from Northern and Western Tibet, the Changthang Plateau is a part of the Tibetan Plateau. The plateau's average elevation is between 4200m and 5000m and the high altitude coupled with strong continental winds makes the temperature Arctic-like, despite the latitude. Expect day temperature scarcely above freezing in the sun and night temperatures going down to -35 degrees celsius or lower during a storm.
During the 15-day program, you will be trained in conditioning your body to this harsh climate, learning how to perform basic mountaineering tasks in brutal weather conditions and other skills required for winter mountaineering and extreme high altitude. You will practice under the supervision of a qualified instructor. The objective of the course is not to summit a peak but we will test out the skills learned on either of two unnamed 6000m peaks around the base camp at the end of the course.
Dates and Cost
Fixed Departure in 2022.
12th Jan - 26th Jan
For Indians - INR 135,000 + 5% GST
For Foreigners - USD 2100 + 5% GST (Includes IMF fees)
Winter Mountaineering Course Objectives
- Practice expedition travel and mountaineering skills.
- Learn to condition your body and perform camping tasks in extremely cold environments
- Relearn how to perform everyday mountaineering tasks in extremely cold environments.
- Develop confidence with moving camps in the mountains, living comfortably high in the Himalayas and carrying loads.
- Cover all technical snow and ice climbing skills necessary for climbing a peak..
- Learn about climbing at high altitudes and proper acclimatisation processes.
Day 1: Arrive in Leh (3300m)
Day 2: In Leh, local acclimatisation walks (3-4 hours)
Day 3: We will climb up the Leh Monastery and go to a height of 4000m and descend to Leh for the night. (5 - 6 hours)
Day 4: 4th June - Drive to Rumtsu and establish Base Camp (4200m)
We reach the Base Camp after a 3 hour drive from Leh. Establish Base camp and go for an acclimatisation walk up to 4800m. Return to Base Camp for the night.
Day 5-14: 5th - 14th June - Acclimatisation, program curriculum including snow craft and ice craft, a quick revision of snow and ice anchors and belays, glacier travel, self-arrest, and crevasse rescue.
The group will also attempt a 6000 m peak near the Base Camp. The group will travel independently and unsupported. We will form small teams and they will do this on their own learning to camp and travel safely in the winter environment. We will have all guides also accompanying the group.
Day 15: Return to Leh and fly out. Trip Ends!
1. Camping Tents, Kitchen, Dining tents and Insulated Sleeping Pads.
2. Nutritious, high calorie food will be served. Dhundi to Dhundi.
3. All instruction for the Mountaineering course.
4. Cook and camp helpers until base camp.
5. Horses carry loads on the route until base camp.
6. Transport between Manali and Solang in Jeeps.
7. All technical climbing gear.
- All expenses of personal nature like drinks, tips, telephone calls, mineral water etc.
- Sleeping Bags. (We recommend to get bags which are comfort rated to - 5 to - 8 deg C)
- Accommodation and food in Manali.
- Medical and evacuation expenses, we strongly recommend to purchase suitable insurance cover.
- Backpack / rucksack (70 lts)- This will go on Horses until BC
- Backpack small ( 20 - 30 Ltrs) - This is what you can use everyday for the hike and to go to the training area.
- Warm hiking pants and shirts/ t shirts / sweat shirt.
- T-shirt Wicking Layer.
- Good hiking shoes.
- Head light with extra batteries.
- Suntan lotion and toiletries.
- Insulated Water bottle/ 750 ml flask.
- Warm fleece jacket.
- Windproof shell jacket and pants.
- Down jacket.
- Warm gloves thin to work in the ice.
- Warm gloves thick woollens usually do but if you want something water proof then that is also cool.
- Warm socks.
- Warm Beanie.
- Thermal underwear's.
- Hiking Poles.
- Personal climbing harness.
- Prescribed medication if any.